Sunday, October 17, 2010

yes, I milked a cow

Yesterday was an interesting day for us here in Honduras.
Like I intended, I made plans with people that would put me into interesting situations, sometimes with people I didn't know.
Gate Keepers
Last week, when looking for some fresh milk to make butter, Alexander, a student from school, introduced us to a lady who has a couple of cows. She explained that there wasn't much milk coming from her cows, but that she would sell us some.
We were happy that we had found milk so easily. But, I had one more request: Can I milk your cow?
She laughed at me. She laughed, I'm sure, because the thought, the images, of this white girl (who goes around town petting cows and horses, calling out to little piggies, and trying to find a pet chicken), milking a cow for the first time is hilarious. So, she agreed to have her cow milker teach me how to milk a cow.

Here I am, a week later, learned in cow milking. I also learned some other valuable lessons along the way.


Here, I learned "Don't stand too close to a cow, even if (s)he moves toward you first."
This guy, gal actually, tried to gore us about 3 times.

The Cow Whisperer bringing in the lost cow for milking

They allow the calf to suckle on the utter for a second, then pull him away. 
This is a process that happens for a couple of minutes. 
I'm going to guess that it's in order to get the milk flowing.
I learned that its easier for me to milk a cow when there is a little calf spit left over


First, I let him show me how to do it. He was really, really good. I mean, come on... Look at that stream!


Then I tried. You can't see it here, but sometimes I actually got some milk!


When we were done, the calves got what was left over from our pillaging.

 
I also learned that it is not a very wise decision to wear open toed shoes to an animal farm.
Oh yes...
That is definitely cow poop between my toes.


Some of that milk was from my hard work. And that hard work got me some free milk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your wooden rings...and that you milked a cow. How awesome is that!

The Cervantez Family said...

Great job Des!