Friday, October 22, 2010

the children are stalking me....

The first day of school the kids here asked us if we had Facebook. We told them yes, but that we were not willing to be "friends" with them until we were done teaching here. I like to have healthy boundaries with the people I'm trying to help.

They would beg us for our emails, phone number, and ask us how we spell our names. I don't know why, but they really want to be in our business.

Yesterday, a male student with whom we hang out quite a bit (going to the market; his mother teaches me how to cook), finally found me on Facebook. He really does not have boundaries, and does not understand that even though we hang out with him, he is still our student, not our friend.

Because of this, I've had to try to redirect his behaviors in class, being a little more harsh than I usually am to make it known that he is my student. This is a difficult situation, but I think that he's starting to understand.

Anyhow, I did not accept him. He told me today that it was really difficult to find me, and that he tried many different forms of my name. And then, he couldn't tell it was me due to my profile picture. I told him I wasn't going to accept his friend request.
He then asked me how many friends I had - thousands? Well, I don't know, but not thousands. He told me that he only has 6 friends. Then I felt kind of bad. But, just for a second.

If I let one in, I have to let them all in.
I want them to just stop trying to stalk me.

No comments: