Friday, March 5, 2010

timeline

I've been meaning to start a blog for sometime now. When we were planning the wedding, I tried to make a "planning blog", but it accidentally was deleted when I signed up for a Google account. Since then, I've been too scared to put time and energy into another.

As far as a Peace Corps update, here's what's happened so far this year.
-January
Matt, our regional recruiter, contacted us to let us know that DC is interested in giving us an assignment in Central or South America. This is our first preference, and due to our language skills, I guess they see it as a good fit. The only other information we received is that it would be an education assignment and that it leaves in August.
-February
We received our medical packets a couple days after being nominated. They were HUGE. Well, mine was huge as I have three doctors (physician, dentist, optometrist) to visit and various issues that I need follow-ups on. I swear, my packet was about two times as large as Alex's.
We sat on these packets for an entire month, deciding (again) whether or not we really want to do this. We're going to miss out on niece's and nephew's birthdays, some births, maybe some deaths, and our friends and the adventures to be had.
-March
We finally decide that we will just turn all of our paperwork in and see what happens. I am under the impression that if things are meant to happen, they will, and vice versa. Here is our doctor line-up:
*March 3 - Desaree's physical (awaiting lab results, still need boosters)
*March 8 - Desaree's eye appointment
*March 9 - We go to the dentist
*March 19 - Alex's physical
The cool thing about our dentist appointment is that it is going to be free!! On one of the many pages the Peace Corps sent to us in our medical packets stated that there are certain dentists that will provide free exams and x-rays to potential Peace Corps volunteers. You know I had to at least look into it and, what do ya know, there was one in Corvallis. So, even though she's not our regular dentist, she will provide us with what we need for free, which I'm not going to be mad at.
The goal is to get all of our papers in by the end of the month. If we can do this, we'll probably still be on track to leave in August. If not, who knows! I guess it really depends on how well we/our doctors fill out the papers.

Now that we've got this baby up and running, I will definitely update it when new information becomes available. Otherwise, I may just post random things about life with us.

No comments: