Thursday, December 2, 2010

I love Thursdays

I love Thursdays for three reasons:
1. It's almost the end of the week.
2. I don't have to teach anymore little kids. On Wednesday, I have a very full day which includes teaching all of my classes. I have 3rd, 4th, and 6th grades, plus my usual 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. It's usually not a very good day for me.
3. It's bread day!!

It starts with Doña Olga. She gives us some kind of bread every week on Thursday. Usually, it's these babies.

I have no idea what they're called. Today, she called them "pansitas" but I'm pretty sure that's not the real name.
They are quite dry, so dry that it's dangerous to eat them without water. And have a little bit of a sweet flavor to them. Alex doesn't like them so much, but I think they're delicious.


Then, if we've remembered to put in an order, we go pick up our order of bread from one of our student's aunt's. She cooks bread every week and sells it only on Thursday. We've been told that many people come to buy this bread, even from an hour or so away from here. It's pretty delicious, especially with coffee.

Oh, what do we have in this bag?

Oh, "samitas de trigo". These are out favorite samitas.

A little bit of sugar on its hard outside, soft crumbs on the inside.

YUM.

Oh, well, here is another bag...

OH! More samitas and a torta!

These are "samitas de arroz". 
They are also good, but a bit more dry than the samitas de trigo.

Oh, and the torta...

The "torta de mantequilla" is the perfect bread for coffee.
Moist. A little bit of sugar.
Melt in your mouth goodness. 

As you can see, I cut into that torta right away. We decided that since we had just bought more coffee, and now we had bread, that it would be a good idea to just indulge immediately. It just felt right.

And for 100 lempiras ($5 usd) for all that bread, boy, was it right. Delish!

No comments: